Monday, March 16, 2009

an alien world...full of alien letters..

GREEECCE!!! I finally got to go on my dream spring break trip!! I have been wanting to go to Greece for the longest time! The culture is totally different, they have gyros, teal water, myths, ancient statues and buildings... and a whole different alphabet! We left in the afternoon, trained into Milan, spent the night in the airport ( i didnt sleep at all..), and left for Athens at 6 that morning. I am not going to lie, it was pretty nerve racking...I have never been in charge of planning something...there were five of us girls...none of us had ever made train reservations or made our own flight...I definately grew up a whole lot haha. We made it to Athens and the directors of the HUG (Harding in Greece) program picked us up and took us to Porta Rafti-where the university is. My best friend Calle and I had a better reunion than I could ever have imagined. We probably pierced some ears while we were having this fantastic reunion..but we didnt care..We went straight to the water. Porta Rafti is a small port town..very quaint :) The next day we woke up and went into Athens. While the HUG group was in church us HUF girls went to the Archeological museum (whoops) It was so amazing!! Greeks laid the foundation for the art and architecture that I have been studying in Italy..instead of seeing works from AD 1200 I had sculptures from 600 BC right in front of my 2009 eyes. IT was UNREAL. We met the group at the Akropoli after they got out of church. let me tell you, as soon as i saw the Parthenon my heart almost stopped. It is so mystical. The hike up the mountain makes you feel other wordly. The grass is a sharp green and there are thousands of year old stones and blocks that held up temples all around. My camera didnt charge so I dont have any pictures of that day, but the rest of the girls did thank goodness....I have to go get money out the bank real fast then I'll blog more tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment