Wednesday, February 11, 2009

San Gimignano e bella bella Sienna

Today was a LONG and exciting day. We left the villa at 8, got on our charter bus, and made the trip about 40 minutes to San Gimignano. I had no clue what to expect, but I was not let down at all. This town is one of the most medieval towns I have ever seen. Nothing has changed hardly, I felt like I was walking around in the 12th century...which is a pretty cool feeling... all the doors are tiny and the buildings are ancient. First thing we did ...I bet you can guess

went to a cafe for cappucino and pastries :) all on Harding..haha well all on us from tuition..but its still awesome when you think its free
The town is known for their leather and beautiful ceramic. My favorite part about the town was the view on top of La Rocca. The streets got more narrow, and we entered a courtyard...which looked like what I think the Garden of Eden would resemble..and climbed up a tower and looked over miles of beautiful rolling Tuscan hills...it never gets old. We ate real fast, I bought a ceramic mug...and ran to the bus...I wish we had more time..or that I could go back.


Then...we went to Sienna.



I am still catching my breath.



Sienna was and is the rival city of florence. The people of Sienna are very wealthy. the houses there are very expensive, but you can't tell from the outside...it looks ancient and somewhat run down but still beautiful..this is because they are supposedly very humble, and don't like showing off..

There are many freaking sweet things about Sienna...I wish i could tell you all of them. The most famous perhaps is it being the only city that still has the Palio horse race... look it up, it's pretty wild. I found my favorite church (I will probably say that ten more times this trip..haha) It is different because it has alot of pagan art in it..also...it is filled with stripes..haha I will put pictures and you'll see what I mean. Sienna is home to the most famous road to Rome, so it had many different cultures coming in and out. The most exciting art is also on the floor...the church is totally decorated, and your eyes never stop moving.. I am so tired haha I will have to fill you in on more stuff later.
dinner at the villa was awesome to come home to.
and i have a new favorite fruit that I have almost everyday

kiwi

Caio

No comments:

Post a Comment