Friday, February 13, 2009

Santa Croce and the Bargello

Today started off.. early, and I did not get enough sleep..haha no matter, I still had to be alert and ready to learn :) It is getting harder and harder to take notes in our moleskin. I just want to look at the art and study it and listen, not keep my head down so I can put my pen on the line..but I know I will thank Robbie later for making us do it.. Sante Croce is beautiful of course! There are tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machievelli, and Rusini and a commemorative tomb for Dante. It was freezing today by the way... side note... the best part of Sante Croce to me is the courtyard, it is absolutely beautiful. We were very rushed today so it is kind of a blur, I am trying to remember everything and it is super hard..The Bargello was an>awesome. It is the museum for sculptures and bronze statues.. it's like walking into a marble stone, haha. Donatello's David is there ( really weird and historians are starting to think it is not actually david...) and many others of his works..all supernatural and breath taking.. Michelangelo also has many things on display there. My favorite sculpture today was probably Donatellos Amore-it is a bronze little boy with wings, a tail, snakes at his feet, he is smiling, and they are not sure what he represents- that is the cool part- he has so many hidden meanings in the cute boy. He looks so real you could just pinch his cheeks and hear his little giggle. Donatello is known for his realistic work.. I really enjoy his art.

Lunch


ALL of us got to eat at a very nice restaurant. two types of pasta, two types of meat, salad, fried veggies, icecream with melted dark chocolate, and espresso :)

then Jonathan, Nicole, and I stayed in Florence and went to the San Lorenzo market to get sunglasses. I found some ridiculous yellow ones :)

now its time for homework...

:) ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment